The answer to the question of what F stands for is much more straightforward than you might think. In a nutshell, it alludes to showing respect to a third party as a consequence of an unfortunate situation suffered by the latter. Knowing what does F mean in chat can be very useful for people connected to social networks and chat rooms.
Like any meme, the usage of F in the chat is most of the time in a context of humour and irony, so it should be interpreted in this key. At the same time, it is a code used mainly by young people and teenagers, so the knowledge of its meaning can deepen the lexicon that they usually handle.
F in the Chat: Where Is It Used?
When talking about chat rooms, the first thing that comes to mind is the instant messaging network known as WhatsApp. This is because it is one of the most widely used around the world.
However, there are other alternatives in which digital conversations can take place. Most of these are presented within the framework of social networks:
In some cases, these networks allow live broadcasts (especially Twitch and Youtube), within which a chat is also enabled for the participants of the event to converse.
Something similar happens with the comments on a publication, which, although they are not a chat in themselves, have a similar dynamic, so knowing what F means can be helpful in this case as well.
F in Chat: Where Did This Code Come From?
Sometimes the aura of mystery surrounding a phenomenon like this is so great that one tends to think that the code behind it is complex and challenging to decipher. However, the answer is much more straightforward than one might think. This is what happens when you think about what F stands for in the chat.
Press F to Pay Respects
- This key has its origin in one of the most famous and best-selling games of recent times: Call of Duty. With a war theme, this game has numerous versions and editions.
- The F expression originates from Call of Duty, one of the most famous and best-selling video games of recent times.
- In one of the latest scenes in which the protagonist must attend the funeral of another of the game’s characters. When the time comes to continue, the user must pay respects before the coffin of the fallen.
- To carry out this action, you must press the “F” key, as long as you are using a computer.
- As a game with a huge number of users, this code was born and developed within the gaming community, who found something striking and somewhat strange in this scene.
- Then, the meme of F in the chat went viral, and its use spread to the entire universe of young people and teenagers who tend to share similar codes when communicating with each other.
- Following the video game scene line, young people make mention of F in the chat to highlight or respond to certain unfortunate situations.
- Being used mainly by teenagers (especially in, these situations to which the textual meme F is applied in the chat are usually in line with their lives.
That is to say, and they are events of little or no concrete gravity and which are overstated by teenagers, often in a humorous way.
What Does It Mean When Someone Says to Put an F in the Chat?
Here are some extra answers from gamers and common users:
Imagine your character is standing at a funeral for a loved one. The eulogy has been delivered and you walk your charater up to the casket and a small bit of text pops up. “Press ‘F’ to pay respects.” You press the ‘F’ key and a cutscene plays, showing your character reflecting on your relationship with the deceased. You place a single red rose on the casket as it lowers into the ground…Scott Harris, answered on Quora.com
This instantly became a meme. To pay respects, just press F, sounds funny right? So now people are making fun of it. I remember when some famous person was dead, some dudes on Facebook created a post saying: “Someone has died, press F to pay respects,” and everyone commented F.Isaac Tam, answered on Quora.com
It originated in the game Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare when you attend Private Will Irons’ funeral in which the player had to press the letter “F” to pay “respects”. It may have also originated from the Metal Gear Solid franchises as it asks the player to press “F” to pay “respects” throughout the stories.Anthony Romano, answered on Quora.com